Martin Edward Fallas Shaw (1875–1958), composer of 20th century school and church music, was the son of a church organist and a pianist. He was brought up in Belsize Park, and became organist at Emmanuel Church, Hampstead, in 1895.
During the 1890s Shaw worked with the theatre reformer Edward Gordon Craig, wrote incidental music for occasional plays and began working with Ralph Vaughan Williams on researching old tunes for the English Hymnal (1906),
Martin Shaw became a prolific arranger of choral music for schools and worked for the Board of Education as an inspector of music classes. He believed good English music needed to grow from English roots: folk-song and the Elizabethan masters, as in the music of Vaughan Williams and Holst.
While he worked to take English ‘national’ music to ordinary English people in theatres, schools, and churches, his greatest impact was on church music. From 1920-1924 he was organist at St Martin-in-the-Fields, London, and in ‘Songs of Praise’ (pub1925), his own work and that of Vaughan Williams and Dearmer replaced Victorian hymns with Tudor and folk-based ones. The Oxford Book of Carols (1928) consisted of the trio’s choice of traditional religious songs plus new carols by English composers.
Martin Shaw retired to Suffolk, became an OBE in 1955, and fellow of the Royal College of Music shortly before his death in 1958.
11 – 16 Lissenden Mansions
Anthony Green (born September 30, 1939) artist, is a senior Royal Academician and one of the UK’s most eminent and best loved narrative and figurative painters and printmakers. He is best known for paintings of his own middle-class domestic life, many of which have as their background the quirky interiors of his family flat in Lissenden Mansions. His career as an artist spans fifty years and his irregularly shaped paintings and sculptures (often autobiographical in subject matter) wonderful colour and skilful execution, have been enjoyed and admired by thousands of visitors to exhibitions and museums all over the world.
Anthony Green was educated at Highgate School and the Slade School of Art, London, and lived for many years in Lissenden Gardens with his parents, and later with his wife and two daughters. He taught at the Slade from 1964 until 1967 when he received a Harkness Fellowship and spent two years in the USA. In 1977 he was elected a Member of the Royal Academy and won the Royal Academy Summer Exhibit of the Year. Since then there have been major retrospectives at the Royal Academy in 1978, and in Japan in 1987-88, In 1991 he was elected a Fellow of University College London and in 1996 was short listed for the Jerwood Painting Prize. He became a Trustee of the Royal Academy in 2000 and was a featured artist at the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition in 2003. His work Resurrection, a pictorial sculpture for the Millennium, toured UK cathedrals in 2000.